www.kieranscott.net True Love Trilogy other books contact  
the cheerleader trilogy author reviews
news pen names
she's so dead to us
 

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I <3 Voting


So I don't know if you've heard, but today's Election Day. This time last year, everyone was freaking out about hope and change and getting to the poles and making their voices heard. Today, we're not hearing so much about it. Now I know, I know, there isn't a huge historical national election going on or anything, but there are still people who need your vote! All over the country there are races for everything from town council-people, county executives, state assembly-people, state senators and on and on and on. Here in New Jersey, we'll be electing (or re-electing) a governor today! That's big stuff!

My husband and I always go and vote together. I wait until he gets home and then we go out to our polling place and sign our names and do our thing. I love the vibe at the polling station. There are all these volunteer workers there and the pride they have in facilitating our right to choose just radiates off of them. Also, they usually have a lot of coffee and donuts, so it smells really good in there. When I'm in the voting booth, I click the little buttons next to the names of the people I think are most qualified for the jobs, and then I stand back and read it all over carefully to make sure I didn't make a mistake. And when I'm doing that, I always smile. BEcause this is what America is about, baby. From the mayor of the tiniest town in the tiniest state, all the way up to our Commander in Chief, we get to decide who runs our government. It's a pretty cool freedom to have. So I hope that you exercise it. Or, if you're not 18 yet, you will when you can!

It only takes five minutes, but the results of what you do can affect the world.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ashley @ Book Labyrinth said...

Absolutely! I couldn't agree more... I mean, I'm Canadian, but it's the same argument, haha. It drives me crazy that people don't vote - I just don't understand the apathy. My catch phrase about voting is: if you didn't vote, you can't complain about the current leaders or administration. How many people complain about the government? Almost everyone at one time or another. How many people vote? Roughly 60%, here. Well, if you don't like how things are going - vote for change!

Haha I'll step off my soap box now, but people not voting is a big beef of mine.

November 3, 2009 at 1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home